Re: things to do to a head while getting a valve job

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: things to do to a head while getting a valve job
From: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:28:19 -0400
Robert,

Thanks for the excellent ideas.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 05:00:37PM -0400, Robert M. Lang wrote:

> But remember that speed costs. How much do you want to spend?

At the moment I'm prepared to spend up to $1500. Once the head's off I'll
know what needs to be done vice what I'd like to have done.

> 6. If you want better exhaust flow, dump the stock cast-iron manifold and
> install a good header. There is not much that you can do for your motor
[...]
> But merely freeing up the exhaust (and intake for that matter) by port
> matching and adding a header will do wonders for your car. To free up the
> intake, consider a better filter arrangement (like K&N).

Fortunately I'm already a little ahead here. The car has K&N air filters,
a 6-into-1 exhaust manifold and monza exhaust put on by the DPO and DPPO.
(I don't know what kind of manifold it is except that it looks home-made.)

Actually, I'm not even sure what any DPOs may have done to the head before
I got it, so that will be another thing to check.

> Good luck deciding!

Thanks. I just had to turn this bad news into an excuse for putting yet
more money into the car.

Bill
'74 TR6