Re: Rear crank seal

To: cdavies@holzher.com (Cliff Davies)
Subject: Re: Rear crank seal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
Cliff---I've never used the Churchill Tool either, when installing this
seal. Taking special precautions to get the seal centered seemed
prudent, so this is what I have done, and not difficult with the engine
out. There has always been some weeping here, but so it was when the
engine was new. I would assume that such a tool was used by the factory.

On the distributor end float shim/gasket... I did do the math here
according to the Bentley. Once properly set, I stuck my finger into the
pedestal bushing to see what this clearance felt like. (One can get an
idea when lifting the drive gear up and down as to whether it's too
tight, too loose, or within the few thou recommended)  Best to do this,
at least the first time, by following the proceedure. I haven't found
this clearance to change much over time.

Dick