fuel sender

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel sender
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:55:12 -0400
My temp and fuel gauges started to both read lower last year and
this spring they finally went dead - together. Figured for sure
the stabilizer, but it turned out the temp sender wire was going
open circuit. That's repaired and working OK now.

Now for the fuel gauge - Working at the tank sender (with ign on)
I briefly connected the sender ground wire directly to the green
gauge hot wire and the gauge needle ramped up smartly. Cleaned the
terminals and  reconnected but the gauge needle still barely moves
with a full tank of gas. The resistance across the sender
terminals (disconnected) with the full tank is 240 ohms.

My manual doesn't have any sender resistance specs. Perhaps the
float sunk? Looking for any insights before I jump into pulling
out the sender, which looks like the tank would then have to be
unbolted or removed completely .

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug,74TR6