RE: Speaking of heat

To: "'Vink, Graham'" <vinkg@fleishman.com>, "'6pack'"
Subject: RE: Speaking of heat
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:21:01 -0400
Graham,

Whether or not to use heat is directly related to the application.

For example:

Suppose you need to replace exhaust manifold studs. This is an area of
low precision, (it is an iron casting), and assumes no role what-so-ever
in the structural integrity of your car. Heat the ear of the manifold
cherry red and remove the stud, no harm done!

Never, ever, heat a bearing unless you plan on throwing it away!

My can of liquid wrench says to keep away from heat, sparks, or an open
flame. Whether or not a little heat will aid in the performance of this
product...I don't know!

Unless you have a specific reason for rapidly cooling the part, allow it
to air cool. Rapid cooling is usually detrimental. A bucket of ice water
would not help! Take the time to wait for the part to cool naturally, as
with the manifold example above.

Tool Steels come in a number of types.

The common ones are "O" series for oil hardening, and "A" series for air
hardening; Although there are many, many, others. The typical industrial
method of heat treating is highly controlled.

O-1 for instance is heated cherry red and then quenched in oil. You can
make tools at home using O-1 and heating with a propane torch. When O-1
is quenched it will be extremely hard and brittle. It needs to be "drawn
back" to an appropriate combination of hardness and toughness. For home
use, polish the part, (it will have a scale residue from the oil), and
reheat with the propane torch until the metal takes on a light straw
color. If it turns blue, you went too far. O-1 is cheap, and works great
for making little odds and ends that need to last. Cutters, punches,
drill bushings...etc.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout