Re: Tube Type Radial Michelins

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Tube Type Radial Michelins
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:39:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 jay_welch@juno.com wrote:

> FYI - Michelin site FAQ section.
>
> http://195.154.239.169/aviation/faq/

Right - but that FAQ assumes current technology.

The Michelin X always needed a tube as far as I can remember (back to 1970
and before). That tire was an old-style radial. The current repro version
of the tire is built to the same standard as the outdated tire that it
was.

I _believe (although I cannot quantify it) that the issue with the
Michelin X is that the bead is not the same self-sealing bead that current
modern tires use...

Now - if you are not using Michelin X tires, then I agree with the "no
tubes" thing.

> Good luck,
> Jay

C ya,
rml
p.s. this tube thing is all the more reason to use modern tires on our
cars.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |