Tube Type Radial Michelins

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tube Type Radial Michelins
From: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:17:33 -0400
Listers,

I just had my tube type radial Michelin X (185/15s) replaced with a set
of new Bridgestones (195/75/15s).  The tire shop that did the mounting
and balancing told me that one should NEVER be riding on radials with
tubes in them because of the stress, hardness and heat generated when you
have two separate rubber surfaces rubbing against each other.  He was
reasoning why I have been riding on tubes is because without the tubes
the P/O was probably leaking by the wheels . . . maybe!

Then I directed his attention to the lettering on the side wall of my old
Michelins that states, Tube Type, written on it.  He was at a loss to
explain it.

Does anyone know of a reason why Michelin created tube type for this
particular tire?  Could I have been riding WITHOUT tubes all this time
and had a smoother ride?

No tire expert here,

Al Graffam  CT.  74