RE: Chrome polish confusion

To: TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chrome polish confusion
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:33:41 -0600
No problem

Here's the deal. The pitting is there to stay, as are all but the most
minor of scratches.

I have found that using mineral spirits or a similar cleaner is the best
way to start. Wipe the pieces down very vigorously with a soft cotton cloth
and the spirits. This cuts the film of grease and dirt away prior to
buffing. This crud will just clog your wheel.

Now, use only the white compound. This is the finest they sell. Anything
more course will put permanent marks on the chrome. Use the medium wheel.
That is the sewn wheel, not the soft floppy one. DO NOT use the sisal
wheel. It will wreck the chrome.

You will be very pleased with the results. It will not remove scratches or
pits, but it will put a very nice shine back on the pieces. It will also
remove the rust stains from any areas that have been affected but nearby
rusty areas.

Be sure to clean the wheel frequently. This will make the job go faster.
Wear glasses, gloves and a MASK. If you don't, you will regret the lack.
Hang on to the parts very tightly. The speed and power of the buffer can be
deceptive. If you slip, small parts will accelerate across the shop at with
amazing speed and power.