Re: Adhesive, grease remover recommendations?

To: ken.davis@attbi.com
Subject: Re: Adhesive, grease remover recommendations?
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:35:16 -0500
Pete and list,
I beg to differ on the "adhesive" point of the other replies. I removed
the rear light assemblies, and found a sealant along with the gaskets, so
I attempted to replace it with the closest thing I could find. In this
case I used a 3M product called Automotive Bedding and Glazing compound.
It comes in a "caulk" style tube, and the description reads...
"A non-hardening, water resistant sealer for autobody seams, and between
windshield rubber and car body. Can also be used to seal around mouldings
and to attach door water shield curtains..."
Maybe I am more cautious about water infiltration, but If there was
something there from the factory, I do not want to neglect it when I
replace a component.
Seeing as the rear light is mounted through and into the trunk area, I
feel better using sealant.

It  is your choice.

Mark Riddle
'72 TR6 Hopefully with a dry trunk