Re: look ma, no overdrive!

To: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Subject: Re: look ma, no overdrive!
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:41:12 -0500
Graham,

It's a bit more than the PO putting the non-O/D extension on the back half
of the tranny.  They use different length mainshafts so it was more likely a
straight swap out with a salvage yard tranny unless only the mainshaft was
swapped which pretty much equates to a full rebuild insofar as time and more
unlikely.  You may want to try to check the transmission serial number - it
should be the 1972 range.

As far as the rebuild, your synchros may be in great shape but if there is
excessive noise in neutral it probably is time for a rebuild.  The real
problems include bearing, bushing and countershaft wear.  If you have to
take a "half step rest" when shifting between 2nd and 3rd because the tranny
catches a tooth during a faster shift it's definitely time for a rebuild.

You can find "A" drives, you'll just pay the extra $$$$ for the core charge.
But I believe your 6 came with the "J" O/D which are more common and
somewhat less expensive.

Good luck!

Greg
CD6250L