Re: Differential Rebuild

To: Btp44@aol.com
Subject: Re: Differential Rebuild
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:50:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 Btp44@aol.com wrote:

> Bob-Why don't you build a case spreader? The carrier is usually
> removed/installed several times during the rebuilding process which would
> necessitate a lot of tapping on the bearings. The Churchill tool shown in the
> manual and the TRF catalog can be easily duplicated or a simplier one made
> (details on request).

I know how to make a case spreader. I'm just saying that you do not
necessarily need one.

BTW, we don't tap in the bearings at all. The soft drift contacts the
center carrier, not the bearing race.

I have a copy of Six Tech which also shows a case spreader made from
common materials.

My general poit was that the case spreader is not a requirement. Having
one is great, but not having one does not mean that you cannot do the job.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |