Re: Differential Rebuild

To: Btp44@aol.com
Subject: Re: Differential Rebuild
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:32:06 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 Btp44@aol.com wrote:

> Bob-

Hi.

> I guess we have "differing" opinions on the necessity of a case
> spreader.

I wouldn't call this "differing opinions". I have direct experience taking
differentials apart without a case spreader. This is not an opinion, this
is a reality.

FWIW, I have also shared this observation with other Triumph enthusiasts
and they also report the same experience (one guy even uses a claw hammer
to remove the center section).

Sure the factory tool is useful, but my direct experience is that it is
not absolutely necessary to pull a TR6 differential apart.

> I think that the time spent in making the tool would be
> more than repaid by the time saved, especially if you do the procedure
> frequently.

That may be true, but I'll bet I can get the center section out of a TR6
diff. housing faster than you can bolt up your case spreader.

:-0

> Could you post a sketch of the tool from Six Tech?

The material in Six Tech is copyrighted by Len Renkenburger. You'd have to
ask him for permission to post a sketch. However, the list doen not
allow posting binary anything, so even a propeller head like me can't
post a picture to the list... sorry, that's two strikes against that
idea.

In short, the spreader is two plates with holes to match the diff case
rear cover bolt holes, one plate per side, two bolt holes per plate. The
plates have a turnbuckle welded to them "top and bottom" so that if you
turn one and then the other the case is spread evenly. You need to
position the turnbuckles such that they do not interfere with the removal
of the center section.

I will caution that it is possible to damage a diff. case by spreading it
too much, but the definition of "too much" is an exercise for the reader.

> Berry

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |