RE: PI vs dual ZS vs triple ZS -- dumb questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: PI vs dual ZS vs triple ZS -- dumb questions
From: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:05:56 -0500
Hello  All,

On Wed, Jan 8, Vance Navarrette wrote:

>The reason PI performed so much better than ZS:

>5. PI cars had lower gears, which gave better acceleration.

I respectfully disagree with this. I believe that the PI cars had 3.45
gears, while the US Carbed models had 3.71, which is a better ratio for
acceleration. Did the PI cars have different ratios in the gearbox?

It seems to me that the most significant reason for the PI horsepower gains
comes from the better breathing afforded by the 6 inlet tubes and the dual
pipe  exhaust and the cam to take advantage of it all.

We should also note that below  4500 rpm, there is little difference
between PI and carbed engines, according to the Kastner book. Again, better
breathing is more important at higher revs, since one is moving more and
more air.

Just my  $0.02!!!

Ciao,

Jim Hurley                      "Life is too short for a backfire!"
'75 TR6
'83 F350 4 Door