RE: Carb Cleaner

To: <skip@pobox.com>, <Bruce.Simms@SOCO.Sk.Ca>
Subject: RE: Carb Cleaner
From: "Stephen L. Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:17:47 -0700
Skip/Bruce

I'll get both of these in one answer so the list stays short.

The only time I'd get real serious with any carb cleaner is during a
complete overhaul.  I'm not sure what the long term effect of the
Methyl-Chloride is on the shaft seals on the Stromburgs.  I guess I'll find
out in time. Allegedly it will not harm metal, but they warn you to only
soak the parts for a short period of time.  My experience shows that it
doesn't take long 5 to 10 minutes and a bit of brush rub.  You use water to
clean up.

As to how to dispose, that's a real good question.  I took mine out to the
hazardous waste dump.

Steve

I'm going to partially disassemble and clean-up a pair of SU HS-6s.
Are there any carb parts not to use the methyl hydrate product on? I
understand I already made one booboo by spraying carb cleaner into the
throats of my ZSs. Reportedly will destroy rubber diaphragms.

Thank You

Bruce Simms
1941UO