Re: I also have clutch problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I also have clutch problems
From: CP25616@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:13:20 EDT
In a message dated 13/06/02 22:32:15 GMT Daylight Time, theedge@cts.com
writes:

> I have a one year old rebuilt type 'A' overdrive transmission with
> the Toyota Landcruiser throw out bearing, and the non-Laycock
> clutch plate.  I also had to rebuild the clutch master and slave
> cylinders.  Recently, my clutch starting sticking.  When I first start
> the car, all is okay.  After I have been driving for say 10 minutes,
> 1st gear starts to stick.  A lift my foot off the clutch and it does not
> release and then bam, into gear.  It is like a speed start.  It is then
> very noticeable.  I am coasting at speed in neutral, and when I push
> the pedal in and out, I feel grabbing.

Alan
I also had this problem a few years ago and it took some finding I can tell
you, but it was eventually diagnosed as being a fault with the clutch cover.
When the release bearing carrier moved forward onto the clutch cover some of
the cover "fingers" were being pushed in at different tensions than the
others causing the bearing carrier to be inconsistent on its angle of
approach. This gave exactly the same symptoms as you describe---no gentle
pick up of the clutch, just bang and in. Very frustrating and dangerous this.
I'm afraid to say that this means a removal of your gearbox again though.
Sorry!
You might check out (and this will relate directly to the above) whether the
release bearing carrier and associated fork are just 100% in their action,
again causing the carrier to find the clutch cover at an inconsistent angle.
Good luck!
Alan Graham
Scotland      CP25616   0        Jasmine TR6 PI