Re: Engine sources, was valve replacement for a newbie?

Subject: Re: Engine sources, was valve replacement for a newbie?
From: John <jhardt@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 19:19:51 -0400
Warning, long post.  While this may seem like rambling, I'm trying to answer
some questions that a lot of you have asked.  Thank you for your patience...

First I'd like to thank everyone on the maillist for your input and
options for my dead engine.  I'd especially like to thank Terry and Marty
who each generously offered good used blocks for a potential rebuild.

May of you have asked about the value of this car - for the record, I paid a
little over $3K for it from a "distressed" buyer.  At the time I figured it
was worth something in the mid-4000's.  Ultimately, the value of this car is
my greatest difficulty: it's too good to walk away from, but it isn't a
premeire specimine that deserves a new engine worth thousands.

My motivation for buying the car was that for 17 years I've wanted a TR6 in
my garage - and still do.  Ultimately I have to ask myself if this is _THE_
TR6 that I want to keep forever.  The answer is probably not - it is a
mediocre car that I view as a stepping stone to bigger and better things...

So, here's what I've found out so far:

1)  TRF wants $3295 for a rebuilt engine plus a $500 core charge which I may
not get back depending on the condition of my old block.  Ouch.

2)  I've spoken to several good rebuild shops including Ted Schumacher
(Pandora, OH) who filled me with confidence that he knows what he's doing.
He was certain that my old engine could be rebuilt but understandably
wouldn't commit to a cost until it was disassembled.  Obviously the cost
depends on how much machining is needed, what internal parts are damaged,
and what "optional" parts I choose to replace, etc.   In the end he thought
a rebuild of my old engine could cost anywhere from $800 to $2200.

3)  I've found several used engines available in Ohio for prices ranging
from $600 to $1000.

Anyway, most of you are correct in assuming that the shop I've been using is
a decent mechanic, but they're not a rebuild source.  Also, there is no way
I can do any of this myself.  While I do have a garage, it is small and I
don9t have adequate tools, time, or knowledge for such a major undertaking.

So, taking into account my resources and pain threshold, I've decided on a
two tier approach.  First, I'm going to go ahead and have one of the
available used engines dropped into the car.  As Dale pointed out, this will
allow me to enjoy the summer and fall driving seasons for relatively little
cost.

Then, while I'm enjoying the summer, I'll send my old engine to Ted
Schumacher for teardown and find out what a rebuild will cost.  If it's
reasonable, I'll have it done and install the rebuilt engine next winter.
If rebuilding is cost prohibitive, I can walk away from the old engine and
I'll still have a running TR6 that I can enjoy for awhile and is more or
less still "sellable".

The last question I have for now is what I should look for in choosing one
of the available used engines?  I know (or can find out) the mileage on each
one, I can have compression tests done, and can check for thrust washer wear
by checking crankshaft movement.  Any other things I should look for?

Thanks again for your help.  If it wasn't for your collective wisdom, I
undoubtedly would have gotten the shaft twice.

John