o-ring failure in PDWA?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: o-ring failure in PDWA?
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 00:22:30 -0500
My TR-250's PDWA was leaking.  I made a hash getting it out (got brake fluid
everywhere, *sigh*).  Now that it's out and cleaned up I have a quick
question about how o-rings fail in the presence of brake fluid.  I'm pretty
sure the o-rings I bought a couple years ago were not EPDM.  Still, they
didn't turn to mush as if they had dissolved in the presence of the brake
fluid.  What should I have expected to find?  Once I popped the shuttle out
and dried the bore out, I noticed a little bit of residue in the bore
roughly where the o-rings had been.

Bonus questions: Where can I find a replacement for the copper washer under
the big bolt?  I noticed that Rimmer Bros. sells a repair kit (BAU1704A) for
brass PDWAs in TR-6's.  Any idea if that will work for me?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)
"Excellant Written and Communications Skills [required]" - post to chi.jobs