Re: Brake Caliper Pistons

To: <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>, <StuBeatty@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Pistons
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:30:46 -0600
StuBeatty@aol.com wrote...
> Subject: Brake Caliper Pistons

I've been busy and let list messages pile up, so this is a bit late.  Glad Stu
got his pistons out OK and didn't get hurt.  I too have used compressed air
when in a hurry, and have been lucky too.  Mostly    ;-)

However, there's a safer and simple way to remove pistons from calipers or
wheel cylinders.  Rather than use compressed air, use a liquid.  Air is
compressible, and when the piston comes out the air continues to expand and
propels the piston like a missile - maybe right into someone or something.
Liquids are generally not compressible, so when the piston comes out the
pressure is immediately relieved and the piston just sits there waiting for
you to lift it off.  Way safer.

The simplest way is to use a grease gun.  Adapt an old brake hose to your
grease gun and pump away.  You can use cheap grease, or perhaps oil.  The
piston will come right out.  When the first piston is nearly out, hold it in
place with a "C" clamp or something similar, and keep pumping till the other
one comes out.  Then lift them both out, remove the grease or oil with
solvent, and the caliper is ready for rebuilding.

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A
'68 TR250
'64 Amphicar