Re: TOW Bars

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TOW Bars
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:31:52 -0500
The towing concern people have touched on (disconnecting the drive shaft)
depends on whether your LBC has a traditional "splash" gear oiling system
or a gear oil pump.  Some cars have a gear oil pump in the transmission to
circulate oil (I'm thinking the 5 speed TR7/8 may have a pump), and this is
driven off the engine power input part of the transmission.  Flat towing a
car with a gear oil pump does not power that pump and does not circulate
the oil in the transmission, which starves the tranny of oil and ruins the
transmission. This type of car tends to be newer, in general, and may use
ATF in the manual transmission.  As Jim says below, the TR6 has a tradition
splash oiling system.