Re: Rocker Shaft Oil Plugs & Front Crank shims.

To: R Yahne <yahs@povn.com>
Subject: Re: Rocker Shaft Oil Plugs & Front Crank shims.
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:24:15 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, R Yahne wrote:

> Two questions for the members. I need help on directions installing the oil
> plugs in the rocker shaft. The replacements for Moss appear oversized.
> Attempts to install these resulted in the bottom breaking out of the new
> plugs. Anyone have any experience with these they can share?

Can't help you there. Did you try heating the rocker shaft in an onen and
also freezing the plugs? Knowing the measurement of each piece would help
figure out how to fix things. Assuming an "interference fit", the plugs
should be about .002 _smaller_ than the hole in the shaft. If not, then
you'll need to produce some "magic" to get them puppies in there.

:-0

> My second question is about the shims that fit behind the lower timing chain
> gear allowing alignment with the driven cam gear on the front of the block.
> The originals were distorted due to a small lip on the crank. The replacements
> do not fit over this lip and will also become distorted if I attempt to
> install without some modification. Should I attempt to remove the lip on the
> crank or enlarge the opening of the shims?

The crank end is "bell-mouthed"?

I'd get another crank, if I were you. Have you had this crank crack
tested. If the crank has taken enough of a shot to distort the end of the
crank, I'd question the integrity of the piece.

That having been said, have you tried "dressing" the end of the crank with
a file to help the parts fit better? Does the crank "snout" run true?

I only mention all this because I've made an interesting observation on
the last two engine jobs that I've done... the new lower gasket kits that
I've purchased (labelled "conversion set, 2000, 2.5L) has a really thick
gasket for the front engine plate. By really thick, I'm talking over .030
inches. The original was more like .015. The problem with the thicker
gasket is that you need a pile of the .004 adjusting shims to get the
lower sprocket on the same plane as the camshaft sprocket... like 6 or 8
of them.

This was never a problem not that long ago. So far the suppliers seem to
be unaware of the issue this causes, but I dare you to try to get the .006
shims anymore (at least from TRF or Moss).

Just thought I'd throw that out there for discussion...

> Thanks
>
> Dick Y.
> 74 TR6

Later,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |