Tire and wheel sizes verses what the engineer designed

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire and wheel sizes verses what the engineer designed
From: "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:56:03 -0800
There have been many emails every couple months about what
size tires on what size wheels us owners have used.  I am curious
how do these different sizes effect the car.  I know I could put on
shorter tires, say 205/65-15 and have my speedometer adjusted.
But how did the engineers go about deciding on the 185s on a 15
inch rim back in the end of the 60s'.

Was is the best tire for the performance at the time?

Were there power and torque calculated for the different engines
and they then matched tires up?

Do the axles and differentials have max speeds that we approach?

Thanks in advance for all your opinions.
Alan Lindner
'72 TR6 French Blue set for racing
CC75676L
San Diego, CA