Body restoration

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Body restoration
From: "Rick Patton" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:08:12 -0400
Hi Richard,

I am just nearing the end of a total restoration that the floors and sills
were replaced. On this car I did one side on the frame and the other off.
The first side was done on the frame but it was a very slow process. It
takes a long time working around the frame members. For the other side I
welded angle iron braces into the door opening and raised it to a height of
about four feet. It was much easier working at that height and with access
to top and bottom the job was done in half the time. Before the body was
lifted from the frame I made reference lines on the front and rear sections
using a four foot level besides taking some measurements. Once the body was
up in the air (it is quite flexible) blocking was used to get the reference
lines back to level. If I ever do this again I would be even more careful
taking measurements of everything. You can write the measurements right on
the tub with a Sharpie. By the way I don't ever expect to do this again as
it is a REALLY BIG JOB!

Tonight I spent some time in the garage. Last weekend I painted the fenders
and hung them tonight. It's nice to be able to see some real progress! This
weekend I'll clean up the doors and paint them. I've been keeping a record
of the project on a web site that is current except some pictures have yet
to be posted. Take a look at:
http://users.clinic.net/~rpatton/

The car goes back into winter storage in two weeks so my goal is to get the
doors hung and adjusted. Painting the hood and trunk lid will just have to
wait for warmer weather.

Rick Patton
Brunswick, Maine
75 Delft Blue TR6