Re: Body Restoration

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body Restoration
From: Jim Lewall <jlewall@sunshinecable.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:03:14 -0700
If have just purchased a 74  CF14770U. The good news is that the engine
seems to be in top shape. Drove 300 miles with only a gas stop. The oil
pressure held steady at about 40 the whole trip and temp was just under the
first mark. There is no indication of any oil leaks. The transmission seemed
smooth. The clutch worked well and doesn't show signs of wearing out. The
car ran well with a suitable throaty roar. The body appears to be in very
good condition..drivers floor has been replaces..one small rust spot under
under the spare. The car has been repainted. The inner body seems to be in
very good shape. Generally a 7/10.  The bad news..there is serious frame
rust in the left outboard chassis rail where the trailing arm cross member
hooks on( about 6 inches). It seems be alright from the body mounting
bracket forward. (the right side and the rest of the chassis seems ok)  I
have ordered the repair trailing arm section.. and two new bushings. I live
in a very very small community but am fortunate to have a retired mechanic
who speciallized in British vehicles (he has a pristine MGA) and a highly
skilled welder. I have just ordered a couple of books on rebuilding TRs..I
am taking this seriously. The question is..what is the recommendation re the
rust..and can it be done without taking the body off the chassis

Thanks for your thoughts

Jim Lewall

PS when I win the lotter I will buy a whole new chassis but in the mean
time, I would simply like to enjoy the car in the summer..I am quite happy
doing 55 mph on the open road so u won't see me on any race tracks..On the
trip back here, I found that I could do this speed in 4th with my size 9
foot resting on the pedal. It was a very comfortable trip