Re: Engine bay paint and detailing

To: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine bay paint and detailing
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:45:56 -0500
I would use a good paste stripper (Bix, etc) available from home
stores. Cover everything that the goo could fall on...don't track it
in to the house on your shoes.

Use synthetic steel wool (home center) available in coarse, medium and
fine. Coarse and medium will get most of it off.  Use a halogen light
on a stand if you have one...to put heat on the area being stripped.
Heat makes the stripper work faster. Don't try to strip more than a 1
ft. by 1 ft area at a time. When you are done, wipe down the stripped
area with water, and dry it.

Prior to painting, wipe down the area with Dupont Prep-solve or other
autobody paint surface prep.

Use an etch primer on the bare metal. Wipe down the primer with the
prepsolve before painting with color. Spray with several light coats
rather than one heavy coat. You can buy paint in a can and the auto
paint store should be able to put it in a spray can for you.

write back if you need more info.

Valerie Stabenow,1962 mga,1967 tr4a, 1969 xk-e, 1973 tr6, 1981
corvette