Re: Fwd: Toyota Release Bearing in TR6 (snipped)

To: StuBeatty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Toyota Release Bearing in TR6 (snipped)
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff, Stu and others---I'm glad for you that your clutch problem "went
away" after you secured the pilot bushing behind the flywheel.  I can't
know what else occurred at the same time this bushing was pinned or
staked in place, that may have contributed to the clutch problem
solution.

 The purpose of this bushing suggests it has little to do with the
clutch, per se. It is supposed to support the open end of the  input
shaft of the transmission. Whether the input shaft spins in this bushing
at the same time the bushing spins in the flywheel should make no
difference. The bushing is designed to float in the flywheel. It lasts
longer if it is greased before installation, but being bronze, will run
a long time 'dry'.

I know that some will disagree with the above explanation. That's OK,
too. I only ask that you consider that you inadvertently fixed or
changed something else, while you secured this bushing.

Dick T.
'73