Re: Very Scary Noise in Rear End

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: Re: Very Scary Noise in Rear End
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:45:40 -0000
Rick,

I would add one more thing to Dick's post.  If you find a "hitch" while
the first wheel is off the ground, it could be one of the 2 joints on the
rear axle (for that wheel) or one on the drive shaft.  Even if you do
find the "hitch", I would also jack up the other side.  If you still get
the "hitch", you just found a bad joint on the drive shaft.

Have fun.

Peter

>Rick---I agree with Peter M. on the likelyhood of it being one of the
>U-joints. Just in case it isn't obvious which one (of the six) is the
>culprit, here's a way to narrow it down-----Jack up one rear wheel so
>the other is still on the ground. Leave the transmission in neutral.
>Turning the wheel will turn four of the u-joints and odds are this
>should expose the one with the bad bearings. Go both directions, if
>necessary.
>If you don't feel a "hitch" while doing so, lower this side of the car
>and raise the other side, keeping the original wheel on the ground. If
>it shows up this way, the problem is one of the two in this axle.
>
>A bad U-joint doesn't usually show up the way you found yours. (Assuming
>that's what you have) They lose their lubrication and chew themselves up
>as the result of high mileage. Should the bad 'joint be one of the two
>in the prop shaft, it's best to change both while the shaft is out, and
>because of the hassle of getting to them.
>
>Arm yourself with one of the better manuals that covers the TR6, if you
>like doing your own work.
>
>Dick Taylor
>L.A.

Peter Macholdt