Very Scary Noise in Rear End

To: "Triumph" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Very Scary Noise in Rear End
From: "Rick Ray" <rray@neweracanning.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:30:08 -0400
I purchased my first TR6 a few weeks ago.  A 1974 Carmine Red, rust free and
strong runner.  I have enjoyed it immensely and look forward to keeping it in
good shape.  I am a novice mechanic but willing to learn.

Yesterday while making a right hand curve at about 25 - 30 mph, I hit some
sand on the road from a washout.  The car slid sideways probably a foot or so.
It jerked pretty hard but I had no problem keeping control.  However, when I
started from a stop intersection probably 1/4 mile down the road, I could hear
a slight clunking sound.  Soon this clunking turned into a terrible load
banging sound in the rear of my car.

I pulled of the road.  I could push the car, but when driving at a very low
speed (less than 5mph) it bangs loudly the rear wheels will lock up.  A friend
was following me and towed me home.  While being towed there is no
banging/locking up, only when I try to drive it.

Can anyone help identify my problem?

Thank you,

Rick Ray
'74 TR6