Re: intro - thrust washers

To: Thomas Gauthier <td_gauthier@excite.com>, 6pack
Subject: Re: intro - thrust washers
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:11:15 -0400
Tom,

Spec for this engine is .006 - .008 so you're a bit over.  Can't say
that I'd know exactly how long you can run at this clearance as it will
only get bigger and you will run the risk of losing the rear washer in
the pan.  Should this happen, get out the check book.

WRT the parts you've ordered, you've identified most of them.  Beware,
however,as the standard thrush washers do vary considerably in their
thickness from one to another.  As an example, a set of .005 over TW's
I'd purchased read the same as a standard set, from the same
manufacturer.  You're gonna have to try different combinations of TW's
with a goal of falling within the spec'd tolerances.

Thrust washers can be replaced by themselves but when you're in there,
you ought to look over the main bearings.  You should also buy new main
bearing cap bolts for reassembly.  These can be readily obtained from a
good "old fashioned" hardware store.  Look for a Grade 5, or better,
Grade 8 bolts.  Insure that the length is exactly the same as the ones
you're replacing and that the threaded portion of the shank is the same
length as well.  Can't say what the bit 3 charge for these bolts but I
just bought as pair from my local hardward store for less than $2.50.

The replacement proceedure is quite simple.  A manual such as Bentley's
would help, too.  Be sure to reassembly the main cap in the same
orientation as you took it off and don't over-torque the new bolts.

Good luck

Gary Klein
President, TRAC

www.toad.net/~gklein/TRAC/

> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:33:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Thomas Gauthier <td_gauthier@excite.com>
> Subject: intro - thrust washers
>
> Hello to all.  I am new to the list.  I have been looking for a TR6
for some
> time now and recently purchased a 1972 sapphire blue TR6 - mileage
unknown.
> The last LBC I owned was a 1972 MG Midget back in my college days
(about 20
< years ago).  I am not a mechanic but I do have a few tools that I have

> acquired over the years and some mechanical ability.  My plan is to
slowly
> fix up the car as I have fun driving it.
> Because of some of the horror stories I have read on the internet, one
of
> the first things I wanted to check was the thrust washers.  I borrowed
my
> neighbor's dial gauge and took a couple of readings and got 0.019
inches for
> both readings.  My questions are:
> How soon do I need to replace these?  Can I drive my car a while
before I
> dive into this project?  Can I go in and just replace the thrust
washers?  I
> have already ordered a std set of thrust washers, an oil pan gasket,
and
> some assembly lube.  What else do I need?
>
> Thanks for your help.  By the way, anyone else live in the Lakeland,
FL