Re: unleaded fuel

To: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>,
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel
From: Neil Beesley <neil.beesley@netconnect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:40:19 +0000
I read a letter from a chemist about 12 months ago, in a classic car mag,
which said that its exactly the high levels of aromatics that attack the
seals melt - as Bernard describes.

However, it also said that from 1/1/2000, European Union regulations stated
that unleaded must not contain any higher levels of aromatics than leaded
fuel. So in theory, if you live in the Netherlands, your standard unleaded
shouldn't do this kind of damage to the old rubber)

(but this regulation doesn't apply to "lead replacement petrol", which
still melts seals - allegedly)

Neil