Re: Por 15

To: TR6me@cs.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Por 15
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:25:46 +1200
Hi Mark,

I've just finished using some POR 15 on my TR6.

This is great stuff. The instructions are pretty simple as to the
application and precautions.

A couple of notes....
Wear rubber gloves. If you get it on your hands it will be there for at
least a week (unless you scrub your hands with a wire brush that is!).

When putting the lid back on the tin, place a piece of gladwrap or similar
nonstick sandwich wrap between the lid and the tin. If you don't and there
is paint in the lip of the tin, you will not be able to get the lid off
(yes really).

Only pour out the paint you need. If you have some left over, don't pour it
back into the tin otherwise it will start curing the paint in the tin.

This stuff needs a reasonably rough surface to key to. I found a good
result by just wire brushing (in a drill), and then applying POR 15 to the
metal.

I was suprised at how easily it brushed on, and the good finish it gave.
You may find you don't need an undercoat. Be careful about runs and drips
because sanding this stuff is a pain (it is quite hard when it sets).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Bernard

'73 TR6PI
'71 2500 PI

At 21:28 17/09/00 EDT, TR6me@cs.com wrote:
>I recently acquired a 72 tr6 that has a great frame under it. the engine
>drive train and interior are also out of the car. I figured this would be a
>good time to do some preventive maintenance. I plan to lift the body off the
>frame. my first question is, are there any reinforcement needed to keep the
>body straight and gaps good. Second is, I plane to clean the frame and coat
>it with POR15,  and under coat the body tub with some type of undercoating.
>Any recommendations on using the por 15 and it;s application.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark Johnson
>72 and 72 tr6

Regards