Gearbox Oil

To: "6 pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Oil
From: "Rex R. Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:54:02 -0700
I've been using StaLube 89-90 GL4 in my non-overdrive gearbox.  It's
relatively inexpensive at my local auto parts store (when you live on an
island, there is only one auto parts store!).  It states on the bottle that
it is non-corrosive to all non-ferous metals, and the GL5 version of the
same oil doesn't make the same statement, so I assume that it is the good
stuff for brass synchro rings and etc.  BTW, the SAE viscosity ratings for
gear lubes are totally different than for engine oils as the viscosity is
determined at a much lower temperature.  I'm not sure of the exact
correlation, but 80-90 gear lube is not much different in viscosity than 30
or 40 weight engine oil.

Rex Townsend
Bainbridge Island, WA

P.S. This message would have been received earlier, but I screwed up (Again)
and sent it HTML format instead of plain text.  You think I'll ever learn?