zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] Stub stacks <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1384542195; bh=HMwK9xFPHvXwi1SANyFSf4OvdD80UA99PU/kAtV3J7s=; h=Received:Received:Subject:From:Content-Type:Message-Id:Date:To: Mime-Version; b=JT9/ZCn0L36NpTjtGuwNuP8XtbOFVNhUFvxkXiAxiEisdYr+QKo9dQyPSWLab1FkD Iq/vBWLIr9DJ2Ks7sfSWkXBIYNWq3Y/1e6fHS2G28tsYbE2JZIgdqyeL+RaxxoutJL gvpPQawv8ApOlq+RLr5CMhG9Klx0AcHM/B54PnDuKfbjayQ1h4HKq1ewJEhCFin7nd pioGmVNWCN5MPaOwi8TtFMv6fVko3qvL+cvTotVEK2Bf6Rz70Iu7rBUx6nPYx2195A XwIYkfSknNOtqGpYMvBmhBfSHE3YlIU4fFJAaY6AP4s9CGWX5l3eVVOLbm953vR4cD LVX8Ielv2iG5Q==
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] Stub stacks <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:03:11 -0500
References: <5b4e8644042c995f7553dd38efcffeab@caverock.net.nz> <CD120D25-04F6-4BA4-BA7D-58BC79D8BD15@comcast.net> <32E08340-FDAE-448C-8104-14654ABB6810@lpl.arizona.edu> <005e01cee0d1$3532c730$9f985590$@bmts.com> <0E958BEF-EEF8-496E-827E-0F021E95F9C8@comcast.net> <37B4BFD45EEF4947B56FE3273A254F18@IsabelPC> <1384527536.76526.YahooMailNeo@web184706.mail.ne1.yahoo.com> <19FDED86BB7146F899C99A6A07AA7E3B@yourxhtr8hvc4p> <9D1F45FD047347E1ABD0D06720E26DDA@IsabelPC> <CAF682mHkB_4xhjwt-h=1wAaCzemVAgfT+NUgk8Se3aCJRs1HXA@mail.gmail.com>
--===============2061159688==

--Apple-Mail-39-360581779

Are we comparing apples with oranges here?  Take an air cleaner off any =
carb and you'll hear more noise. Why? Air cleaners themselves =
absorb/insulate some sound.  And different kinds vary.  The K&Ns are =
slightly noisier than stock MGB air cleaners. I don't think that's =
because they're less efficient.  My guess is that they provide less =
acoustic insulation.=20

Kelvin - your point is well-taken. Are you saying that even if =
everything else is spot-on, it's still not worthwhile to mess with =
velocity stacks for those of us who spend most of our lives below 3500 =
rpm?
Allen & Florrie Bachelder
North Street, MI
bachldrs@comcast.net

On Nov 15, 2013, at 1:18 PM, charles durning wrote:

> Just my 2 cents.  The extra noise from a fan or an engine is just the =
noise made from  air movement.  Though our engines do make more power at =
the higher rpms (thus more noise) it's actually not as efficent at =
processing the air movement as it is at a slower speed.  I believe that =
the most efficent engine in the world has an 8 foot stroke and maxes out =
at102 rpm.  It's most efficent speed is 100rpms.  That gives plenty of =
time to extract all of the engergy from the fuel/air misture.  When the =
heater fan is turning at 3 times the low speed it is not moving 3 times =
the air, just moving more air.  Noise is just unused energy.=20
> =20
> In my case I really don't care one way or another.  I have pancake air =
filters with no air flow enhancements.  A nice throaty sound from a MG =
exhaust is a plesant sound no matter how it gets there.
<gwhardy@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Yea that sounds nice all that about efficiency, but fact of the matter =
is that the big old factory cleaner was much quieter than the small =
cleaners or just velocity stacks...more air seems to make more noise, =
just turn your garage fan from low to high speed and tell me which =
setting is loudest or sit in the car and turn the heater / ac fan up to =
high and compare it to the low setting and see which one you like best.
> The intake roar doesn=92t bother me in the least nor does a nice hum =
from the exhausting gases but some folks do not like gaseous noises from =
either end.
> =20
mixture to whatever is IN the air?  In other words, you can't run the =
stacks and an air cleaner, can you?
> =20
> Gene D
"Noise" to a mechanical engineer (or most any engineer) is an =
undesireable by-product of inefficiency, i.e. whatever is causing the =
noise is sapping energy from whatever the machine is supposed to do =
(unless it's job is to make noise). Having said that, stub stacks should =
reduce noise -all else being the same - because the efficiency of the =
system is increased.
>=20
> To that end, Allen opens up the issue of Bernoulli. In our carbs =
Bernoulli is working hard for us at the piston/bridge, not the inlet =
throat. Without some kind of "stack" Bernoulli is screwing with us at =
the carb inlet as the "apparent" inlet diameter gets smaller due to the =
air having to make a hard 90-degreee turn... turbulence is also =
introduced before the piston/bridge which is not a happy thing for nice =
even fuel induction.
>=20
> Those two reasons are what makes the mixture "change" when you put a =
stack on. Not more air, per se, but quality of air flow.=20
<zmagnette@autox.team.net>=20
> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 1:19 AM
> Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] Stub stacks
> =20
> If the carbs are tuned again to compensate for more air to the inlet, =
then more power should always be the result. If more power is =93Better=94=
, then the answer is yes. But you must adjust for more airflow to get a =
more better running motor..ie more air will need more fuel too if a =
result is to be more power. Maybe a new, slightly richer needle is the =
ticket to heaven. I know the K&N filter people caution that their =
filters flow so much more air than the usual paper ones, that a richer =
needle, or jet, or slight enrichment adjustment may be desirable for =
best running.
> Of course all this extra air flow is also likely to create more inlet =
roar under acceleration. Is that =93Better=94 or not???
> I personally run the MGA cleaner assemblies rather than the Magnette =
one for better access to the carb adjustment screws for keeping up with =
summer 100 degree days now swinging to winter 50 - 60 degree days and =
the resultant changes in idle speeds due to cooler, denser air, and the =
need to richen the mix by about 1/8th of a turn.
> MG put on the big old ugly oil bath filter for better engine life in a =
variety of dirty dusty operating situations around the world, and for =
more civilized operation in a quieter manner. Their true race motors ran =
with velocity stacks and no filters usually.
> =20
> Wombat
> =20
talking about the Bernoulli Principle: stating that as air enters a =
conical tube the air pressure is maximized, but as the tube diameter =
conically diminishes, air pressure decreases as air speed increases =
inside the carb.  Without a conical stub stack, there is no acceleration =
in the air entering the carb inlet.  How much lift would we get from a =
cross-sectionally flat airplane wing-top with a squared-off leading =
edge?
> =20
> That being said, how can the original Magnette intake plenum perform =
any of this function? Same question for the intake plenums on T-series =
cars. I would think they would be Bernoullian disasters.  Would a =
Magnette engine always run better with stub stacks rather than the =
original plenum?
> =20
> Curious in Michigan.
> =20
> (Allen)
> Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =3Diii=3D<
> Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs
> '57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 B/GT
> North Street, MI 48049, USA
> http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs
> =20
> On Nov 13, 2013, at 7:33 PM, John Park wrote:
>=20
>> Depending on length it can produce a much smoother flow, some say a =
bit of a ram effect which increases power and torque . Longer stacks as =
in longer runners means more torque while shorter ones mean more power.  =
Not lots, but it all contributes to a freer flowing intake which helps =
your freer flowing exhaust to make a bit more power/torque and slightly =
better fuel economy.  You note vintage racers usually have anywhere =
from2.5 to 6 inch stacks. Some with a stocking for a coarse filter, most =
just hoping nothing of consequence enters the throat=85 I have a set of =
2.25 inch stacks in my 3.25 inch K&N=92s on my MGB and they seem to =
help. Just the ho hum stock setup on my Magnette.