Re: Downshift: Double clutch or blip?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Downshift: Double clutch or blip?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:41:19 EDT
In a message dated 13/06/02 8:09:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jfcowan@pacbell.net writes:

> For those of you who race cars with synchromesh trannies, when
> downshifting, do you double clutch or just blip the throttle?  The books I
> have read split about sixty to forty on this one, with the majority
> recommending not to double clutch.

Double clutch - you want to match gearbox and engine speed. With a 9 pound
flywheel, my engine will have dropped and the gears will be just sitting
there (not having been brought up to speed by the momentary engagement of the
clutch in neutral) by the time I slot it in and let the clutch out - my .02,
anyway. I'll be interested to hear what others do.

You know you are really at home with your car if you can shift without any
clutch! Then a blip in neutral (obviously with clutch engeaged, as it isn't
working) is absolutely necessary not to graunch things. I have finished a
whole race that way - it concentrates one's attention quite remarkably to
have to get it exactly right EVERY damned time for 20 minutes or so (and you
have to watch out you don't drive over the pit crew when you pull in).

I have to double clutch my street Lamborghini, as the synchros need doing,
and I pretty much automatically drive all my standard cars that way.  One of
the young guys in the Fiero club heard me do it and asked me what the heck I
was doing - made me feel old, that they had never heard of such a thing.

Bill