Re: Spring Sprints

To: brian@uunet.ca, Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring Sprints
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:44:20 GMT
Phil,

Usually I agree with Brian, but not 100% on this one.  If your Lotus runs
cool enough WITH the electric fan installed, leave it on the car!  Starting
up at the 3-minute signal is overly idealistic.  At many races, you won't
even GET a 3-minute warning.  Or, you'll get a 3-minute warning that turns
out to be 6 minutes, or 1 minute.

IMHO, you want to make your car as foolproof as possible, especially when
you're new to the game.  That means you should run a generator, a fan, etc
-- anything that makes the car require less of your attention, and makes it
easier to cope with.  There are enough unexpected events that occur before &
during a race, and the more prepared your car is to deal with these
disturbances, the easier it is for you to maintain your composure & focus on
your driving.

Regards,
Mark Palmer
(the gabby instructor last weekend)