Speed Differentials

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speed Differentials
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:40:05 -0800
Someone recently wrote:

> With lower speed differentials, you lessen the likelihood of
> serious incidents.

 . . . . and if you don't take your car on the track you lessen it even
more.

Seriously - if there are two racing "truths" that I think are far too
frequently believed they are
 - big speed differentials are dangerous - and -
 - mixing closed wheel and open wheel is dangerous.

Bunk. Both.

Big speed differentials are only dangerous if they surprise anyone. Use
your eyes, your mirrors and your brain and you won't be surprised.
Obviously that applies to both overtaker and overtakee. We have mirrors -
use 'em. If you don't know what is going on all around you at all times -
you shouldn't be out there. I still shudder at the comment heard many years
ago while walking away from a drivers meeting - "I don't have time to look
in my mirrors when I'm out there".

Open wheel and closed wheel - dangerous? - why? Not as dangerous as mixing
open wheel and open wheel.

If you believe either of the above "truths" you're not thinking straight -
please don't race with me.

Derek