Re: Attn: CSRG Members...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Attn: CSRG Members...
From: Tom M <tmatycho@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:37:46 -0800

MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> Attn:  CSRG Members
>
> I've just heard that at the last board meeting, the board voted to outlaw all
> RADIAL TIRES, beginning with the 2001 season.  This has not been confirmed,
> but came from a reliable source.  Personally, if this is true, I don't
> understand what problem they were trying to solve.  I plan on expressing my
> disagreement to the board with this decision, and hope that others will do
> the same.  This will now mean separate tires and suspension setups for CSRG
> vs. other organizations (VARA, SCCA, SOVREN, RMVR, HSR, etc.).  Its been my
> impression that the production car groups (both small bore and large bore)
> have been getting along quite well with the tire rules that were put into
> place a couple of years ago.  What's your opinion?
>
> Regards,
> Myles H. Kitchen
> 1965 Lotus ( likes low-cost, commonly accepted, long lasting, and very
> available radials ) Cortina Mk1 #128

It's my understanding that the purpose of the rule is to eliminate the
performance advantage gained by certain heavier cars that have the
capacity to adjust to the amount of negative camber needed to take
advantage of radials and thereby gain a four seconds per lap advantage.
It will also bring CSRG more in line with HMSA's tire rules.

It's also my understanding that the ultimate outcome in 2001 depends
upon what alternative tires are then available.

Tom M.