Re: Alternator Installation

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternator Installation
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:40:23 PST
Susan wrote:

>Simon - you are right. It won't work in a 750/101 Alfa, to the best of
>our knowledge. Real pain in the arse. I was waiting and hoping somebody
>had a magic solution, but alas, there doesn't seem to be any good way of
>doing this. It's even worse with a Webered/veloce headered car too.

The 750/101 Veloces (and ersatz Veloces) also tip the motor over towards
the exhaust side, making even less room by the steering box.  There's
barely enough room for the crummy old generator.

There was a discussion on the Alfa Digest on this subject a while ago.
Supposedly Jim Hayes did this using a Japanese tractor (no lie)
alternator that was small in size, but large in price.

I saw one of those "cheater" alternators driven by the driveshaft.  It
was on a Bugatti!  ;=)