Re: SCCA Laguna Seca event

To: veenet@aol.com
Subject: Re: SCCA Laguna Seca event
From: "Edwin Smith" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Date: 14 Oct 97 11:59:02 -0700
--=_ORCL_5583119_0_0
Content-Transfer-Encoding:quoted-printable

Let's see, the SCCA Laguna Seca report as viewed primarily from under the
hood......I started the Sunday race dead last as I spent Saturday
troubleshooting Mr.Rochester F.I. and missed the qualifier.  He will soon be
replaced by Mr. Holley.  The car was raced originally with a carb back in
1965 so it shouldn't impact Mr. Earles sensibilities. We followed trouble
shooting procedures for the FI and everything looked fine but it didn't work
well at all. I couldn't find an autoparts store open locally to buy another
manifold, carb and distributor but that's next on the agenda.  Mr. Holley is
a bit more user friendly...

I started dead last, next to  Joe from Mustang ranch in a GT350 with a mongo
351 stroker who only had 4th gear and it was clanging away. He needed to
finish a race to keep his license current and he did.  B/P Mustangs with 351
motors on steroids seemed to be the order of the day.  I only had about half
throttle performance in the Vete and  had to shift at 4500 with no pull
coming off corners.  Thankfully,on the first lap, most of the pack ahead of
me moved to the right to line up for turn 2 and I slid down the inside,
passing a bunch.  They were kind enough to bunch up to the left for turn 3
and I slipped thru to the right.   Same story in turn 5 as the pack drove
the high speed line at low speeds.  I pretty much held the ground I gained
by powersliding thru corners as I couldn't get any pull off the
corners.....the car handles nicely after a front swaybar transplant and
shock adjustments and I should be able to drive it dirt track style when the
powers predictable.

The event was a pretty good one overall and my only complaint would be a
shortage of track time.  There were lots of cars there that weren't prepped
to vintage spec in the production groups but it didn't matter
much......There were about 240 cars there with a lot of cars from out of the
area, especially from the N'west.  Big and small bore production classes,
large and small bore sports racers, formula cars of all types and a USRRC
Seniors race.......there were plenty of neat cars to look at.  I just wish I
had had more time for socializing and meeting some of the people I've talked
to on the list.  Every thing went off on time, was well organized and there
were few incidents, most of which were solo experiences and the damage I saw
looked of the fender bender variety...no injuries I was aware of ....I'd run
with this group again.  They were certainly less bone headed than the some
of the VARA drivers at Tustin and LAGP.  Driver skill varied from really
good to really new but I didn't see many people driving over their heads.
All of the drivers in big bore production that I encountered were sane and
considerate.  Sorry you missed it.  It was a good event......

Hope there are some other perspectives forthcoming......

ted

so that's it......

--=_ORCL_5583119_0_0