Re: Vintage Formula Fords

To: "Jeff Snook" <jsnook@wcnet.org>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage Formula Fords
From: "David and Jennifer Vickers" <vickers@abcs.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:22:27 -0000
Jeff writes:
> 1.  What are the most competitive FFs to vintage race?  Are certain
> makes/models more competitive?

   This class was formed as a entry level drivers class, and ;therefore,
   the cars are pretty evenly matched.  If your organization lets Mid70s
   FFs to race, I would avoid the mid70s Lola.  They have quite a bit of
   chassis flex, and are hard to set up right.

> 2.  Are vintage FFs reliable, or will I spend all my time fixing things?

   FFs are extremely reliable.  They are extremely overbuilt, and most of
   the components are not very stressed.

> 3.  Are certain makes or models better handling?

   Again,  avoid Mid70s Lolas.  I don't know of any other marques that have
   handling problems

> 4.  Do all FFs have Ford engines?

   Yes, they all have a 1600 Cortina/ Pinto engine. The engine has some
 minor modification and is not under a lot of stress.

> 5.  Are there certain separate requirements for the Monoposto Register?

   I am not too familiar with this organization, but I believe that if your
FF
   Is vintage eligible the Monoposto Register will accept it.  The also
have
   a "sister" series for 70s single seates using wings and slicks.

> 6.  Who are some of the better FF mechanics that in the Midwest?

   I don't know.  Anyone else?

> 7.  Are replacement parts rare (ie. expensive)?

   Parts are readily available from a number of sources.  For me, a $10
part is
   expensive, but the parts shouldn't be any more expensive than your
Triumph.

> 8.  What should I avoid, or watch out for, when I go shopping?

   Unless your made of money I would avoid anything with a lotus name on
it.
   I'm no expert on formula fords, but from my experience most pf the major
   players are all pretty good cars.

> 9.  Who should I talk to that is an "expert" on vintage racing FFs?

   Any experts out there?

   I am new to vintage racing.  So don't take this info as gospel.

   David Vickers
   see you at the races