Re: appropriate cars & SVRA dirty dealings

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: appropriate cars & SVRA dirty dealings
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:19:10 -0500 (EST)
     On the subject of recent machinery becoming eligible for vintage racing
(IMSA, NASCAR, etc.)
     It's my guess that the for profit vintage race organizers are becoming
more and more interested in big entry lists that include fast, fancy cars
that might draw more paying spectators.  I don't like the trend.
     I also recently wrote about my experiences with various vintage groups
and wrote nice things about SVRA.  I need to vent my frustrations over the
bad side of SVRA as well.  They seem to be a very greedy bunch.  Item #1:
 Last year I enjoyed the HSR event at Mid-Ohio and looked forward to going
back.  Mid-Ohio issued a terse letter to HSR cancelling their date and citing
conflicts with other existing  'clients'. (read SVRA)  Scuttlebut is that
SVRA's Mid-Ohio entry was down 100 cars and HSR's entry was up 100 cars.
 SVRA pulls a strong crowd for it's event while HSR's event is non-spectator.
 That gives SVRA the clout to tell the track that the schedule wasn't big
enough for the two of them.  Greed wipes out a fine vintage race weekend.
     Item #2:  We just tried to get a hotel room for the '97 SVRA Mid-Ohio
weekend at the same hotel we stayed for the HSR event last year (they have
really nice suites @ $ 55.00).  SVRA has reserved a block of rooms including
the suites we wanted and the price is $ 110.00!  I'm sure that we are
supposed to thank them for reserving a block of rooms.  I don't know if they
get a cut of the increase or if they just screwed us by negotiating a really
bad deal.  Hey, SVRA, next time you want to do me a favor, don't do me any
favors!
     OK, I'm done ranting for now.
     Douglas J. Meis, Attorney at Speed
    1967 Honda S-800
     "Talk is cheap until you hire an attorney"