tvr

2500-M Decision

To: "TVR Chat Group" <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2500-M Decision
From: "Kay Elliott" <akelliott@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:53:22 -0600
Hi list folks,
I have been reading with interest the issues regarding switching to a V-8. At
the same time I have been reading about all the clutch problems and how they
were solved on the 6-Pack list.
Back about 1998 I took apart my 2500-M to do a complete restoration. The car
ran just fine and I was driving it to work every now and then. I was not happy
with a number of minor issues. What I could not foresee at that time was that
right around the corner were a few major family health problems as well as
moving my store out of a mall and into a 100 year old house that needed every
thing. Life is back to normal now and work is proceeding on my M.

I had the rear end and tranny gone through by a local English mechanic. When
he returned them to me they were gorgeous. He had even painted them with BMW
alloy wheel paint. This was not cheap nor should it be. A master
mechanic/machinist built the motor and I installed all three into the chassis.
During this time I had the car painted VW Electric blue like the medium blue
on the first new Beetle. I had the sun roof removed to give the roof a
smoother look and stop the leaks. Things were going well.
 Then things started to happen. My machinist friend told me that he had built
a carbureted 302 for his brothers truck. His brother has health problems and
will not get better. He offered me the 302 with zero miles with all the
accessories even a/c for a 1000.00. It has a used automatic tranny with it.
I bought a second 2500-M for spare parts several years ago. It was a fire
damaged car that lost the windshield, dash and wiring.
What do you guys think?
Should I complete my car as stock and deal with it`s short comings power wise
and with dependability or should I drop the V-8 in it.
What do you think about putting the V-8 in my parts car?
The problem with that is that I only want one 2500-M.
I could most likely sell the new motor, tranny and rear end to a TR-6 person.

I had decided to stick to the stock configuration and then all you guys
started talking about the V-8 swap.

How about some feedback?
Thanks,
Skip Elliott