tvr

Re: Racing TVR's

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing TVR's
From: Harvey Gilmartin <harveyg@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:09:26 -0500
Irv,

Before you proceed with this restoration, think about what you have
and what you are planning to do. A "typical" full restoration project
might be a 2500m that was driven for a few years and left behind a
barn after it developed engine trouble. Most would agree the "right"
way to restore the car would be to replace as much as possible in
order to erase the car's unfortunate history and give it a bright future.

Surely your car is very different from this hypothetical 2500m. Most
would agree the "right" thing to do is to preserve its fascinating
early history and erase a later history of neglect. It seems to me you
are planning to erase all of its history. What makes it a factory mule
is the cobbled up chassis. If you replace it, you will have a new
chassis with an old number plate and some paperwork proving that plate
was once rivetted to a factory mule chassis. At least consider having
the original chassis repaired by an expert. It'll cost more, it won't
look as nice, and won't be as strong - but you'll have the real thing
instead of a fine replica.

If you are lucky enough to own the original upholtstery, you should
consider retaining it no matter how shabby.  You say that Mark Donahue
may have driven the car.  Obviously, he didn't sit on upholstery that
hasn't been made yet. Maybe it's better to have the leather preserved
and the splits and tears repaired as inconspicuously as possible.  The
result may not be beautiful, but you'll be able to sit in the actual
seat Donahue sat in - not merely a replica of that seat.  Every
original part you replace adds beauty and strength to the car, but
takes away from its history. Obviously you can't retain everything
original and have a car that is drivable and presentable. But if you
are not careful, you'll end up with a beautiful car that has a great
history on paper, and almost no history riding on the tires.  Back in
the 80's the kind of restoration you are planning was all the rage.
Today it is a very controversial practice for important historical
cars. I am in the camp that sees it as a travesty. But, I am no
expert. It's your car, and I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you
how to restore it.  Harvey Just something to think about. best wishes.

[This message delayed, as it was sent by someone who has their mailer set to
automatically include the entire message to which they reply.  mjb.]

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list
///