tvr

Re: [usa-tvr] does the Quaif diff. designed for the solid axil

To: usa-tvr@yahoogroups.com, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [usa-tvr] does the Quaif diff. designed for the solid axil
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:43:19 EST
In a message dated 01-02-07 16:48:38 EST, joospeed@sideways.freeserve.co.uk
writes:

<<
 Actually, the TR6 only had an independant rear end -- semi-trailing arms.
So did the
 TR250 (the non Lucas PI version of the TR5).  But the TR4a had a solid rear
axle in the
 USA because Leyland didn't think we would pay for the independant rear nor
notice the
 difference.  IRS was an option in the USA.

 I doubt the solid rear axle Quaife diff would fit in the IRS diff case, but
who am I to
 comment?  I dont' know.

Hello,

Believe it or not, the differential carrier from ANY Triumph TR3, 4, 4A (both
IRS and solid axle) and TR 250  will fit the TR6 case.  Same for the ring and
pinion gears (starting with TR3 #13046)

They are ALL interchangeable.  Say for example you happen to come across
someone selling parts from an old Triumph TR4A solid axle racecar, and he has
a 4.55 Detroit Locker.... the ring and pinion gears and the locker would be a
straight swap  into the TR6 diff case.

In this situation, all you would have to do is remove the internal thrust
button from the Locker.  The internal thrust button is a spacer which goes
between the inner ends of the axles on solid axle cars.  The thrust button
must be removed when the unit will be installed on an IRS car (like the TR6
or TVR).

Same thing applies to the Quaife.  Since the LSD unit Quaife sells fits such
a wide range of Triumphs, I think they sell it with the thrust button
installed, but I'm not positive. If it comes with the thrust button
installed, all you have to do is remove it and you're good to go!

And if you find that guy selling old Triumph racer parts, send him to me!  ;>)

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list