tvr

Re: Vixen Paint??

To: Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Vixen Paint??
From: GRIFF65@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:51:19 EDT
I don't think any cars were gel coated, just primed and painted. Stripping is
good for two reasons: to see the condition of the underlying fiberglass and
to assure no reactions between the new and old paints...peeling, bubbling,
lifting, etc. The original paints are nitrocelulose laquer.

There is no good way to get the old paint off. Bead Blasting is probably best
if the body is off the car but I suppose a good masking would help the medium
from getting into everywhere. Paint remover works but makes the kind of mess
that Mom's and the EPA don't like. Sanding is.......well.....forever.......
It depends on which type of mess you prefer and the state of your project
which method
will work for you.

There are a couple of good books out on fiberglass and composite repairs.
"Fiberglass & Composite Materials" by Forbes Aird published by HPBOOKS is a
good start. Cracks have to be feathered out and built up again to prevent
them from returning. West Systems Epoxy is a great system to use for repairs
and they have alot of informative litriture to help out.

Best of luck....
Dave

A newer paint s