tvr

Re: Steering Arms/ Hillclimbing Vixen

To: skip47@home.com, Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Steering Arms/ Hillclimbing Vixen
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:03:18 EDT
In a message dated 00-06-22 21:16:16 EDT, skip47@home.com writes:

<<
 Steve-
 My worries were due to the fact I had not heat treated them.  I did the
 job on advice and instructions from my local race car building guru
 (Bill Schlossnagel), who has done many without the additional step, and
 none of them have broken. The trick is to heat and bend VERY carefully
 and slowly, heat only once, i.e. not cooling and reheating (get it right
 the first time!), and using the least heat possible.
 -Skip >>

At the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix last year, I was looking over a Lotus 7
that was entered.  The steering arms on that car had been strengthened by
welding one or two
(I can't remember for sure) pieces of steel at least 1/8" thick, 5/8"tall, 3
or 4" long to the  tops of the arms.  I asked the owner of the car, he didn't
know anything about it, never noticed it, it must have been done by a
previous owner.....Any thoughts about that modification??

I'll  be running my Vixen in another hillclimb this weekend.  The Pagoda
Hillclimb in Reading,  PA.  Yes, there  is a Pagoda  in Reading, PA.  This
event is only 30 minutes from my house, so I don't need to stay in a cheap
motel this weekend :>)

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA