tvr

Re: Rollbars

To: David Smith <dsmith@enterprise-capital.com>
Subject: Re: Rollbars
From: qdhgurneejr@home.com
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:44:24 -0800
David-
I bought mine from Autopower here in San Diego, they're an "AUTHORIZED
SCCA ROLLBAR MAKER" or some such hype.  What I got was a hoop running
between outrigger rear corners, and a couple of links from the hoop to
the rear/upper suspension mounts.  The quality was questionable and the
price too high ($500 in 198_something).
If I had it to do over again, I'd:
1. Be more careful about specifying the mounting points.
2. Remove the rear window to allow access to welding the tubes.
3. Specify bolt-on mounts to the frame.  Mine are welded, causing the
body to be permanently attached.
4. Buy from a local shop who has a tube bender and isn't nationally
advertised.  I found one after the fact, and saw some of the work they
were doing on a dragster.  I almost cried it was so nice, and cheap
besides.

What's legal is what's in the GCR; they leave a fair amount of room for
innovation, which is what you need for a TVR.  BTW, I added a shoulder
harness mount to the tube behind the driver's seat, and an additional
stiffener from the passenger side of the hoop forward to about where
there's a frame crossmember over the transmission.  The bar interferes
with the passenger's space-there's gotta be a better way.
Additions to be considered are:
1. an X-member from hoop top to major frame, in the plane of the hoop.
It would be a big help to stiffening.
2. Diagonals at the bottom of the main backbone under the transmission,
completing the box section of the frame (not rollbar, but stiffening).
3. A complete cage, with an additional hoop at the windshield.  I
haven't been able to figure out how to configure the thing from there.
Ideas are respectfully solicited.
Sorry for bandwidth.  Describing something without pictures, you know.
-Skip.