tvr

RE: Rollbars

To: TVR Chat Group <tvr@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Rollbars
From: "Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:24:35 -0800
An acquantaince of mine would be a natural source for what you describe. He
is a first class metal fabricator who specializes in TVR's. Just for fun,
let me tell everybody about this guy. He currently owns three TVR's: a  1972
Hybrid (Vixen body on M chassis), a 1973 M Series, and an S series. He has
owned at least 10 other TVR's. The guy is radical about his cars. Usually
they get torn down to the frame, regussetted, lowered, Jag dif's, Chev V8's,
5 or 6 speed trick transmissions, roll bars, air conditioning, up rated
brakes, etc. The other day I was in his shop (with hoist so he can store one
TVR over the other) looking at his S project. I swear the rad was five feet
long three feet high. Don't ask me how it fits under the bonnet/hood. He
decided he wanted to lower the car another inch or so, so he moved every
mounting point on the body  up by cutting and welding tabs, or redrilling
new holes. The work is flawless. He just finished "making" his own muffler,
cause he couldn't  find anything that had three inch pipe in and out, and
with a muffler height of two and a half inches, with butterfly gates, to get
the right amount of  loud. I recall him telling me about putting sand bags
in the back of one car to keep it from breaking away on the dyno while
trying to measure peak HP. He is the most serious TVR freak you will ever
meet.

His name is Kenny Butcher, lives in Victoria, BC, Canada. Phone number is
(250) 474-3584

Kenny asked me to ask the list if anyone knows where he can find some mags
which look like Minilites but the "spokes" disappear under the centre cap,
unlike most of the Minilites where the spokes  terminate outside of the cap.
(Hope this description means more to you than it does to me.)  If you have
the name of a dealer or manufacturer, please let me know. Thanks.  Stephen