tvr

Re: OD tranny

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, tvr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD tranny
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:36:03 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-22 11:29:06 EDT, zehrinwa@umdnj.edu writes:

<< Dear all:

 A regional brit-car mechanic informs me that he has an OD unit that can be
 attached to the existing 4 speed tranny on my '71 2500 (TR6 engined car).
 I believe he said that the only additional part I'd need would be the
 motion shaft.  I am not sufficiently familiar with these units, in fact,
 I'm downright dull-witted when it comes to transmissions.  Any advice on
 this matter would be greatly appreciated.  I know these units are VERY
 rare, and I also know from experience that the OD is a sweet thing to have
 on highway trips.  Is there any net-wisdom on this?  Is adding the OD unit
 as simple as it sounds?  Wouldn't I need a different prop. shaft too??
 What sort of price might I expect for this (I didn't ask at the time)?

 cheers,
 Will Zehring
 '71 2500 (on the road by ????)

I'd like to add an OD to my 2500 too. The last one I saw come up for sale was
about a year ago and went for $1500 for a complete trans.  I would think an A
or J type unit would go for maybe $500 or so especially since you will have to
spend money to make it work (the output shaft and maybe other small parts,
gaskets).  You need a competent mechanic who has done this before.  Your
driveshaft will have to be shortened and rebalanced (cheap).  You may also
need to fabricate a rear transmission mount.

I performed this change years ago on a GT6 trans and it wasn't that difficult.
Of course one of the conditions of sale was the owner had to show me how to do
it.  He did, and that trans is still in my race car.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com