RE: [TR] TR4 Cooling System Questions

To: "'Ian'" <Lbc.Resto@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Cooling System Questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:27:50 -0700
> Firstly.  It has been running for the last couple of weeks
> just on water.
> No point wasting anti-freeze and making a sticky mess if it
> leaks like a
> sieve.  So far my only obvious leak is at the top of the radiator (see
> question 2).  What is the recommendation for a modern
> anti-freeze type to use in it?

Plain old Prestone works well.  I'd suggest 30/70 unless you need more
freeze protection.

> Second.  There is a small pressure leak in the weld at the
> very top corner
> of where the expansion neck is attached to the main body of
> what appears to
> be the original radiator.  The running temperature on short
> drives (less
> than 10 miles) looks good, so I would prefer not to
> overhaul/re-core the
> radiator at this time.  Any tips on what type of weld this is
> and whether
> they can be successfully rewelded/brazed?

I believe it was originally a solder joint.  Certainly other places are
soldered; so applying heat to this joint will almost certainly open up a
leak somewhere else.  JB Weld _might_ work, but personally, I would just
take it to my radiator guy.  Simple repairs like that are usually only $30
or so; and he will only do the work I agree to.  On occasion he has told me
it was too far gone for a reliable repair, but offered to try anyway ... no
charge if they didn't succeed.

For a TR4, unless originality is important, I'd be tempted to convert to the
later style radiator without that long neck.  The neck seems to be a
perpetual problem point for me ... I may even do away with the one on my
TR3.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org