Re: [TR] Retrofitting a dual circuit brake master cylinder to a

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Retrofitting a dual circuit brake master cylinder to a
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:11:43 +0000
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>

> List,
> I ran across this racing TR4A on Ebay yesturday which seems to have been
>fitted with a TR6 brake master cylinder. It appears to not have a brake
>booster installed. I contacted the seller to find out how he did it but have
>not received a reponse yet.
This is a mod that has been done to several race prepped TR4's. It is a
"relatively" easy and "relatively cheap" way to get a dual circuit brake master
cylinder in the car, which is required by most vintage race organizations. The
conversion requires a complete TR250/TR6 pedal assembly and the TR250/TR6
clutch master cylinder in addition to the brake master and booster. I have seen
this done with and without the power booster. After racing several seasons with
the booster, I chose to replace that set up with twin master cylinders and a
balance bar on my TR4, it was too difficult to modulate the brakes under racing
conditions with the booster (too easy to lock up a wheel and flat spot an
expensive racing tire). On the street however, this would make a nice
conversion. You will also have to cut a large diameter hole in the firewall for
the brake master, as well as a smaller one for the clutch master. Those who
have done this conversion without the power booster report that the!
  pedal
pressure required to stop the car is extreme. This wouldn't be bad during a
20-30 minute race, but would probably be less than optimum for a street driven
car.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL