RE: [TR] TR6 crank pulley - Where's the timing marks? Now what?

To: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 crank pulley - Where's the timing marks? Now what?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:09:48 -0700
> I bought a crank pulley (harmonic damper) from Moss but they apparently didn't
> think that telling people that the pulley doesn't come with timing marks was
> important.  It certainly wasn't mentioned in their catalog or by the
> salesperson when I called to order one.
>
> So now what should I do?  Etch some marks to match my old broken crank pulley
> (which God only knows if its slipped on the rubber between the two pieces)?
> Take it to a machine shop to have it marked?  Any suggestions appreciated.

Mount it on the crank, build/buy a piston stop, and mark it yourself, on your
engine.  See
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=article&id=3
for detailed instructions on how to find TDC.  Then use a little math to measure
off from there to where your timing marks should be.

A serviceable piston stop can be made from an old spark plug.  Break away the
ceramic and either tap the body for a bolt, or weld in a bolt.  Or any hotrod
shop will be glad to sell you one.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org